It feels like only yesterday I was just graduating! When I went into my first semester of university, I had no idea what I was doing. I was feeling so overwhelmed. There are definitely a few things I learned and I wanted to share them with you. Here are my 5 things I learned during my first semester at college. These will be helpful if you’re going to be heading to college anytime soon! If you’re in college, you can probably relate. Side note, I did live at home during this time and not at school so that may have affected my experience a bit. (Of course, I was wearing my Stan Smiths at grad)
- You definitely need a planner. I always felt like I was forgetting something which led to a super amount of anxiety. Once I got a planner, I was able to visualize what I needed to do for when.
- It’s okay if you don’t look put together all the time. Trust me. There were so many people at my school (including me) that would wear leggings, a hoodie and uggs and that’s completely fine and nobody is judging you.
- It’s okay to ask for help. This is important for school but also for life. Ask your professor if you don’t understand a concept. I wish I would’ve asked for more help during my first semester at college.
- Small things don’t matter as much as you think they do. I know you might want to get every single assignment done, but if you’re absolutely swamped and have more important projects to do, forget the stuff that is not worth much for your grade. Also, take care of yourself. Your health should always come first.
- Believe in yourself. This was a year that I learned to deal with a lot of my own anxiety. I had to drive 40 minutes on the highway only a year after a major highway accident. I felt like I couldn’t do it, but I kept trying and now because of it I’m no longer afraid to drive long distances at high speeds. Being specific to the topic of school, if you believe you can do well, you will. If you believe you can make friends, you will. The power is all in your hands and that’s one of the best things I learned at school this year.